17 Hours In A Van: Day 1 Cross-State Move

Hello friends! As many of you know, my family is moving from GA to UT. It is an incredibly long move with many stops along the way. I will be documenting the whole journey and how it went while taking the gliders. 😁

This first day was by far the hardest and most frustrating (so far). We had 13 hours to drive from Atlanta to Iowa where we planned to spend the night with my grandparents. Somehow it morphed into many more hours.

I had both sets of gliders in different pouches. Ink, Dreamer and the joeys in one and Ilona & Yiska in the other. I had the cages in the trailer.

Ilona & Yiska would go in the small travel cage and the others would go in their normal cage. This was ideal in many ways. First off, the four gliders wouldn’t have to be crammed into the tiny cage. They could have their wheel and their smells and all of it is much less stressful. And second, the other travel cage that Yiska & Ilona came with has several rust spots and I didn’t want to risk Yiska getting another UTI because of that.

We left around 11:30 AM. I was holding the pouches and sitting between my two youngest siblings. Mama and Jehosheba were in the front and everyone else was in the U-Haul.

The first part of the drive went amazingly well. The gliders slept like rocks, we humans laughed and ate too much candy and talked.

Cardamom was still on pain meds and antibiotics from his neuter. So around 6 PM I had to administer those in the van. He did well and didn’t struggle out of my hands. πŸ‘ He is such a sweet baby and so so gentle.

The frustration and worry started around 9:30 PM. After looking at the GPS and seeing that we still had 5 1/2 hours the wail of a broken, desperate heart escaped me I had no clue what I was going to do.

We wouldn’t be in until 3 AM – at the earliest. The travel cage was on the trailer. I had none of their staple with me (it was in, you guessed it, the freezer in the back of the U-Haul). I normally bring honey water on trips and give it to them by dropper. But, unfortunately, I hadn’t gotten the honey before it was packed up. I had brought apples with me and I cut those up and put them in. That helped a bit with hunger and dehydration avoidance.

But I really wanted them to have something to drink. I was frantically wracking my mind for ideas. I had plenty of bottled water, but they wouldn’t drink it from the dropper because it was too plain. πŸ™„ spoiled babies

I was just comforting myself with the fact that I had plenty of needle-less syringes that could be used to force liquids if necessary when I remembered Dovid’s unopened apple juice.

I grabbed it and frantically read the ingredients label. Imagine my suprise and joy and ultimate happiness when I saw that the juice was just water and apple juice concentrate!! πŸ‘πŸ‘ I thanked God, gave Dovid my soda in trade, mixed some with water and gave it to the gliders off of the syringe. They drank some, ate some apple and then went back to sleep.

Around 12:30 AM I was so paranoid that they were shriveling into dehydrated gliders that I decided they would drink whether they wanted to or not. πŸ™„

I got my needless syringe and filled it with apple water. Then I got Dreamer to drink most of the syringe. I did the tent test on her to check for dehydration. Her coat is so thin and her skin isn’t very elastic normally, but the tent test was good. She was also hydrated enough to jump into my arm and hace a massive pee on me. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‘ I checked Ink next and he was perfectly fine and the tent test was wonderful.

By that time Ilona was really desperate to get out of the bag. She kept biting at the mesh and the zipper. Poor baby, she is so active and gets up so early.

At 3 AM we were all completely exhausted and miserable. Ink had been clawing at and chewing on the bag desperately. I opened it and found that he had gotten a thread stuck between his two top teeth. I tried pulling and tugging on it, but it wouldn’t budge.

Ink was patient and sat there and let me examine his mouth and try to figure out what to do. I tried one last time to pull it free. Thankfully that time it came out completely and I collapsed into my seat in relief.

We stopped at a gas station and I got the tiny travel cage and put it in the van at my feet. I filled the containers with water and added more apple – the only food I had available for them at that moment.

I put Ink, Dreamer, Cardamom and Vanilla in the travel cage. They were extremely pleased to be out and bounced around. They all looked really rough after spending hours in the pouch with their urine and apple juice. *sighs* But their spirits were undamaged.

I felt so bad for Yiska and Ilona but there wasn’t anything I could so for them. They were sleeping and seemed okay.

We got to my grandparents house at 4 AM. We had revived from our exhaustion. Ilona & Yiska were clawing and biting at thr pouch, so desperate to get out.

Daddy and I got the big cage inside and I transfered Ink and the rest to that cage. Then I put Yiska and Ilona in the small one. They were so desperate to get out that they didn’t even mind that the lights were on.

I got them all food and water and then watched them for a long time to make sure that they were all okay and not suffering from dehydration.

Thankfully, they were all good. I was really worried that Dreamer would be massively constipated because she had only had apples to eat that day and for some reason that constipates her really bad. But, thank God, she went to the bathroom without much trouble! That gave me hopes that the meds were working and that she was healing inside. πŸ‘

That day was one of trusting God. Not only in the move but trusting that he would take care of my babies. I did everything I could to care for them, to make sure that they were hydrated and fed. I couldn’t do anything else and had to trust God for the rest.

As I was tempted to start complaining about how frustrating the trip was and how worried I was about my babies, I made myself think of everything that had gone right, that God had provided already. He had let me pack the apples. He had let them be particularly sweet and juicy. He gave me the glider safe apple juice in place of the honey water I hadn’t brought. He let the gliders sleep well for the first part of the journey. He let Cardamon be healed enough not to have to wear the e-collar on the trip. I had a lot to be grateful for.


  One thought on “17 Hours In A Van: Day 1 Cross-State Move

  1. Hannah Hawkins
    October 1, 2021 at 4:28 pm

    Awwww! You are the most patient glider-mum! I hope ya’lls trip goes well, and I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of your “documentary”!

    Liked by 1 person

  2. October 3, 2021 at 7:06 pm

    I’m so happy God has a way for everything to work out!

    Liked by 1 person

  3. October 3, 2021 at 8:49 pm

    Praise God for all the good things He arranged so that you would all arrive healthy to your destination!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: